[real-eyes] Comments on MobileEyes

  • From: "Paul L. Mimms" <p_mimms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Real-Eyes list" <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:59:07 -0400

Well, as I had said, I got a look at MobileEyes last week.  MobileEyes, like
the Kurzweil-NFB Personal Reader, will scan a wide array of types of print
documents and turn them into speech output.  I am not sure of the dimensions of
the KNFB Reader, but MobileEyes is approximately 9inches by 5 inches by 3
inches, and weighs in at 2.2 pounds.  One can detach the camera and decrease
the weight of the remaining components to 1.7 pounds.  The MobileEyes unit
comes with a fitted leather case, with wrist strap and shoulder strap. One of
the big differences between the two products is that the KNFB utilizes a PDA
for its CPU, while the MobileEyes unit contains a PC running a Windows
operating system.  Both devices use a Windows-type menu system for navigation
among levels of choices.  This is accomplished on MobileEyes using two toggle
or joystick button controls, and a third ENTER button.  I don't have the
hands-on experience with the KNFB, so I will speak here of MobileEyes and what
I have experienced.

Both devices use a digital camera to accomplish the initial step of scanning,
which is taking a picture of the document.  Reportedly, the KNFB uses a 5
megapicsel camera, while MobileEyes uses a 10 megapicsel camera.  Both devices
can use the camera for taking pictures, which can be viewed aboard the unit via
the camera's view screen.  However, the MobileEyes unit offers a 7-inch
diagonal viewing screen as compared to the 1 or 1.5 inch diagonal of the KNFB.
This makes the MobileEyes a viable choice for the user with low vision, since
the image can be zoomed to provide magnification, if desired.  Again, I don't
know about the KNFB, but MobileEyes will also interface with a monitor, when
stationary, providing even more magnification of an image, which could be
stored in the unit's memory until the monitor could be attached.  Images could
be scanned documents or landscapes and portraits.

MobileEyes also provides the low-vision user the capability of taking a
real-time view live, zoom in the view, and save images desired.  Feasibly, one
could look across the street and see a group of people, aim and zoom in
adequately to identify people in the group.

As for taking still shots, there are 3 camera ranges, covering 18 inches to 2
feet, 2 feet to 20 feet, and beyond 20 feet.  The lowest range is used for
scanning documents, which can be laid flat on a table.  The KNFB required one
to hold the device above the document, and listen for information telling the
user the document information was completely within the borders of the intended
shot, at which time the user could begin the scan.  MobileEyes comes with a
stand on which the user can mount the device.  The stand has four legs, with
the two legs at what I will call the back being about 7 inches apart, and the
front legs thing 8.5 inches apart.  Sliding a standard 8.5 x 11 sheet between
the front legs back to rest against the back legs will align this and most
documents perfectly for scanning quickly.  The demonstrator stated he had taken
a shot of a sign across a parking lot of an Outback Steakhouse sign, and
MobileEyes had converted the image and read it back in speech.  The longest
shot he could claim was a shot of a billboard 500 feet away that was scanned,
converted, and read back perfectly.

In addition to utilizing the camera for scanning, photographing, and viewing,
MobileEyes has several other functions.  One is a built-in Media Player, which
utilizes the same three buttons, which can play music, audio files such as
audio book files, and eventually Daisy book files.  These could be stored on
the device after data transfer using the included data cable, or could be read
directly from any USB memory stick, such as the one included with MobileEyes.
In fact, scanned images, including documents and pictures, as well as any
digital voice or music files stored on the MobileEyes device, could be
transferred to any memory stick, to a PC or to many USB devices.  Of course,
there is a headphone jack for private listening, as one would expect.  I am not
sure if the possibility exists for the option of Bluetooth headphones.

One other great capability of MobileEyes is the ability to record digital
files, using a built-in microphone.  These digital files could be an
address/phone number or any other short memo, up to recording an entire meeting
or class.  These recordings, like other content stored on MobileEyes, can be
transferred to a PC, memory stick, or USB device.  Data transfer is
accomplished through one of the menu choices on MobileEyes menu, and will often
use the included data transfer cable.

Yet another feature is the ability to read bar codes.  Once selecting the
function from the menu, the bar codes can be read, and the product will be
named if it is in the product database, as well as any nutritional information,
recipes, or other information included for a  particular item.  If the item is
not in the database, the user can create spoken information for the product,
which will be spoken the next time the product is scanned.

One feature that is also coming is the ability to identify money bills.  Other
capabilities utilizing the potential of the PC at the heart are possible, but
will not likely be included in what we saw, the Basic version.  I am not sure
if the bill reading capability will be part of the Basic version.  Still, you
have a document scanner, variable zoom video viewer/magnifier, stand for
document alignment and ease of use, monitor interface capability, audio book
reader, MP3 player, digital recorder, bar code reader, and possibly a bill
reader, that comes with a data transfer cable, memory stick, leather case with
straps, and possibly with a feature or two that I left out.

The KNFB sells for $3495.00.  MobileEyes Basic sells for $3495.00, too.

This is obviously a device for the person who needs his/her technology
available while on-the-go.  From what I can determine, the only functions that
would require one to be an accomplished computer user would be many of the data
transfer functions.  adding up the value of the features were you to buy
separate devices gives an estimate of the device's implied value.

It is important to note that no matter how close to "the best" this device
might be rated, it's purpose is not to simply replace the devices that are its
parts.  The fact of the matter is that neither MobileEyes or the KNFB Reader
are an equal or better replacement for a flatbed scanner.  MobileEyes is not
the best MP3 player, book reader, digital recorder, or portable video
magnifier.  It is, however, the best solution so far to incorporate this range
of devices into one product, and even at its price, be such a possible bargain.

Paul L. Mimms
West Palm Beach FL

Smiling is a great way to kill time between laughs.