[real-eyes] Braille note or pac mate?

  • From: sarah.jevnikar@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:33:10 -0400

Hi all,
I'm in the market for a new Braille notetaker but can't decide between
the Braille note or Pac mate omni. I have some observations I've made,
but can anyone provide further recommendations as to which one to go
with? Here are my thoughts.
1. The Braille Note format is familiar (I'm still using a Braille lite
40), whereas the menu system in the pac mate is fairly complicated. It
is close to that of a PC (of which I'm also accustomed) but still
seems harder to figure out.
2. Because the Braille note's menu system is simplified and it runs on
a unique operating system, it is not possible to interface with
mainstream technology, or at least is more difficult to do this than
with the pacmate. Active sync is an example of where the pac mate has
advantages.
3. The detachable Braille display on the Pac mate is wonderful; I have
never used a Braille display with JAWS but it sounds really neat.
4. The pac mate's voice is much easier to listen to.
5. I have heard the Braille note has better support for additional languages.
6. The pac mate keyboard (a BX) appears "spongy". I can't think of a
better word for it. It makes it harder to take quick notes. Is it
supposed to be this way? If so, the firmness of the Braille note
keyboard is preferrable.

Thank you very much for your time, and I hope you can provide me with
additional observations I missed.
Thank you,
Sarah Jevnikar