[real-eyes] Re: An external drive problem.

  • From: "Jim Ellsworth" <jellsworth1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:52:00 -0500

Nancy,

Certainly try Reggie's suggestion but here is something else to check into.

Many external USB hardware devices must be properly removed using the
"safely remove hardware" utility in the system tray of XP.  Look in there to
see if XP thinks the drive is still connected and stop the device using that
utility to see if will then re-recognize it once again.  Unless the external
device is hot swappable you should probably use this method of stopping the
device all the time.  Try it with the drive turned on first and then with it
off to see what happens.  It might not work but it is worth the shot and it
is a safe thing to do.

Thanks,
Jim Ellsworth