[real-eyes] Re: An external drive problem.

  • From: "Reginald George" <sgeorge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 03:02:48 -0600

Hi Nance,

Okay, we need to go into the hardware page of system in control panel.  Tab
to device manager and press space.  When it opens up press tab once.  Then
down arrow through the list and see if any of the categories are already
expanded.  That is, they say open instead of closed.  Look for something
called other devices.  If it is there and you right arrow and something is
inside of it press the applications key and arrow down to uninstall and
press enter.  If nothing is already open and there is no other devices
category in the list down arrow to USB and right arrow on that.  Uninstall
any unknown device under USB.

Here's another thing you may want to try before doing all that if it's
practical.  Plug the drive into another XP computer and see if it recognizes
it.  I believe that drive is still under warranty as well.  If it has gone
bad you send it to the manufacturer and typically they can save the data.
What you did should not have killed the drive though.

Reg