[rclsaver] Summary of Meeting with Student Union from Today, Friday Apr. 17

  • From: "Shaun Mahal" <smahal@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'rclsaver'" <rclsaver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:01:16 -0400

Team,

Ricky, Teagan and myself just came from a meeting with Julian, Justin, and
another gentleman from the Student Union. The meeting did not yield much
good news.

Justin did most of the talking, and he informed us that in the past few
days, Matt (the current SU Pres) met with some representatives from the Dean
of Student's office. He stated that they were not allowed to talk with Jim
Stone. The Dean's office representatives told the Union people that there
isn't much that can be done, that there was essentially a gag order coming
from Brown on the issue to his reports, and the representatives gave the
sense that this is set.

They presented "sound financial reasons" that Justin couldn't elaborate on,
and that the administration wouldn't back up with documents. As we've all
suspected, this is a business decision to cut a non-revenue-generating
function.

Teagan and Ricky can hopefully provide more information/insight into
anything I missed above and below.

What the Union is doing:

They are drafting a resolution, to which they would like to add our
collective endorsement. They will send it to me, and I will give send it
along to all of you on Monday. We will have the opportunity to vote
for/against as well as make some suggestions. We'll give it back to the
Union and they will present it with or without our endorsement.

What's the Union resolution going to say?

There are two pieces to the resolution - one is a minimum set of demands the
Union would like the administration to adhere to with the new plans,
including:

* A 24 hour printing facility (I suspect this will cause issues with the
selection of Mugar)

* Increased escort hours availability for students who make use of the
centralized printing

* A more robust remote printing system with web-interface support

* It seemed they were in favor of unmanned remote-printing release stations
at the current ResNet locations

* I suggested that they add in information addressing the need to endorse
placement of current ResStaff (including non-work-study and international
students) into technical positions across campus (it's one thing to give us
a job in some function, another to give us work relevant to our
majors/ambitions).

* I suggested they take out language acknowledging the ability to maintain
the current level of service - as I strongly feel new stations will not be
able to provide the same benefits we do

* I also suggested they request the administration sign off on acknowledging
the potential for costs to be passed onto students in the form of having to
pay for personal printers etc. - This point was not well received by the
Union.

The other part of the resolution:

The sense that I got from the meeting is that the ship has sailed - that
there is little we can do to change the course of action.

What are our next steps

As I mentioned, we will