[rc3r] Re: Small Layout Question

  • From: Ken Young <kanawha72@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rc3r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 17:23:02 -0400

Guys, I really don't want to get sucked into a discussion about what I would like to see the small layout look like. I'm a scale modeler that happens to be doing 3 rail O because I like the size but don't have the budget or room to do 2 rail scale O (like $3000 for a scale steam engine and 60" radius curves - OUCH!). My outlook on the hobby is more like HO modelers than the usual O gauge people.

Here are my 2 cents and I'm going to leave it at that.

When we display to the public I would like to be able to explain to them what they are seeing. The big layout is modern O gauge. We can run anything on it, but the track and generally the buildings are modern. The control systems are modern. When we show that layout I can explain to the public most everything on it is currently available and what the capabilities and performance of the trains are like. I think this helps to "sell" what O gauge railroading has become to the public as opposed to what they might remember from their childhood.

The small layout is a hodgepodge of tinplate track, modern scenery materials, and a mix of old and new buildings. It really doesn't have a theme. Its not modern and its not historical. To me the small layout should have a historical context to it. That means it should have the characteristics of either prewar or postwar:

 * Prewar - Tinplate track, painted tabletop (green ground and gray
   roadbed), tin buildings and accessories.
 * Postwar - Tinplate track, painted tabletop or old style grassmat,
   postwar operating accessories, Plasticville style buildings.

This is just my opinion. In any case I don't intend to get very involved with the small layout in any form as its not 3 rail scale. So however the club wishes to proceed with layout changes and expansion is fine with me. The folks that take the time to display and operate it should have the main say in what it looks like. I abstain from further discussion about it.

Ken

On 8/23/2017 3:45 PM, Peter Condro wrote:

Tom....or, Ken....I missed Ken's point. What is/was it?
Peter

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:08 PM, Thomas Gilsdorf <tlg225ccr94@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tlg225ccr94@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Ken made an excellent point today. We are getting ready to expand
    the layout BUT, what theme do we want to pursue?

    Traditional tinplate track, green "Lionel" painted tops w/ gray
    painted roadbed, roads, and Plasticville sructures
    or
    Modern track with a detailed hi-rail theme.

    A mix of the two doesn't work. Please make your opinion known.
    Traditional, or modern?