[rc3r] Re: 12x15 Track Proposal

  • From: "Ken Young" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "kanawha72" for DMARC)
  • To: rc3r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:09:37 -0400

No. That makes it better than it was but its still an S curve and it will cause problems for some equipment.

Ken

On 6/19/2020 10:29 AM, Wally Ubik (Redacted sender wally.ubik for DMARC) wrote:

Do it!  Remember our motto - no derailments in public

Wally

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 19, 2020, at 10:08 AM, Ben Swann (Redacted sender bswannrr for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Looks Great. Go for it.

Ben
On Friday, June 19, 2020, 09:55:18 AM EDT, Thomas Gilsdorf <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After the meeting last week, the 12x15 layout was setup. This morning I removed track on the inner loop to start the process of eliminating the chicane. As a reminder, this was all 036 with a right hand switch. This put the mainline on the diverging route on the switch. Admittedly there were issues with trains picking the switch and derailing. This was especially true if the train was running counter clockwise.

I got an idea that I would like to run by everyone. Attached is a proposed plan of the layout. Please keep in mind that the outer loop uses 048 curves in the chicane. The outer loop has had zero issues with derailing.

What I would like to do is to rework the inner loop only and use 060 curves in lieu of the 036. I have, and am willing to donate the four 060 curves. The right hand switch is still going to be replaced with a left hand switch. This keeps the mainline on the straight section of the switch. These changes should still eliminate the issues with derailing, while reducing the amount of work necessary to implement these changes. I will admit I like the motion of the curves on this section of the layout, but realize that we cannot tolerate track work that  results in routine derailments.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Gilly