[ratpack] Re: [elky] OT: An interesting email exchange

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 11:11:43 -0600

You can use the logic and stements any time, man. I haven't heard a thing from him...and I don't expect to.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 5/6/2010 11:33 AM, Larry Knight wrote:
I love it Ray, well thought out and expressed. Can I use your verbage next time I get an ass that gives me the same argument?
Has he responeded yet?
Nice Job Mr. Rat!!
Larr

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    After researching this further, in print and on the web, this is
    the email that will be sent to the person attempting to deprive me
    of my intellectual property.

    Dear Johnny:

    Your email ended up in my spam filter.  As a result I didn't get
    to it until now.

    Let me explain something to you.  I put watermarks on my photos
    because I sell them.  I'm sure you can understand selling,
    especially if you really DO run a printing company.  And if you
    make and sell prints of persons and/or property, then you should
    know that releases are only required under very specific
    conditions; conditions which are not met by property displayed for
    the express purpose of being viewed.  This is the law: "as long as
    a photograph of private property is taken while the photographer
    is on public property or on property that is accessible by the
    public then it is permissible to publish that photograph without
    permission from the owner of the property."

    There are several more issues you should be aware of

        * property per se, has no legal right to privacy.
        * publishing of a photograph of property that is in public
          view is protected under the First Amendment of the US
          Constitution.
        * a photograph, drawing or other representation of publicly
          displayed property is the intellectual property of the
          creator of the representation.
        * releases are appropriate for persons or groups of persons.
        * releases are not required for publicly displayed property
          that cannot be identified or otherwise connected with the
          owner of the property.

    So, the photo stays right where it is.  The original of the
    photograph is my intellectual property.  It was made using my
    equipment, my skill and my time.

    If this is not clear to you, I suggest you consult an attorney and
    have him or her explain the law to you.

    Sincerely,

    Ray the Rat

    On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Redline LV <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        If I try and take a pic off your site of my car it has a
        watermark over it. I dont need prints of it as I own my own
        printing company. I dont inderstand why I have to pay for a
        pic of my car. If so pleas take it off as I didnt sign any
        release form for you to use my car on your site. Thank you
        for your understanding.

        Johnny

        On 4/9/2010 12:26 PM, Ray The Rat wrote:

            Hi.  You can have the copy on my website just by saving
            the image to your hard drive.  But since I try to
            supplement a fixed income with photography, I ask a small
            amount for my photos.  I ask $10 for the original or an
            8x10 print and $20 for an 11x14.
            Let me know what format you keep the photos in and we'll
            see what we can work out.  K?

            RtR