[ratpack] Re: This one's for Larry

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 23:19:04 -0600

I DID have fun. Paul and I hung out a bit and even Big Al showed up. It was wonderful to see her. We had nice visits, I got the 40D dialed in real quick, the 7D took quite a bit longer. But it got there. Sorta. :) The attached lo-res shots are just that: lo-res.

Dr. Zamboni, I'm real sorry I missed ya. I feel kinda like a idjit cuz the last coupla times we've tried to get together something's happened with me to screw things up. I have your stuff in the back of the Burb and I'll get it to ya one way or another. But yer not alone. I've got a thumb drive with some files for my first wife and every time I'm near where she lives, I call to try to drop 'em off...and she's not at home. Life seems to have a twisted sense of humor.

I looked atcher crash sequence and if you'd gotten any closer coverage we'd be readin about ya on the news. I think you did damn good! I think it was last year that I was tryin to cover 3 events in one (rainy) day. Part of it was an autocross that Sir Knight was competing in with his Miata.
http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2009/20090620-Solo/200906200004.html
They (the scca volunteers) had a spotter with me to keep me outta trouble. Good thing, too, cuz a WRX decided to understeer right toward me. I had my eye on the viewfinder watchin this thing comin toward me (and "Wheels" and Fuzzy were on the other side of the course shootin me shootin them and the WRX) and all of a sudden the spotter grabbed me and yanked me outta the way. Spoiled the shot, too. :) http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2009/20090620-Solo/200906200007.html You can get a pretty good idea of what happened on those shots.

In the 2007 Grand-Am race there was a nasty crash on the first lap at the Tooele turn. I got shots of the thing from beginning to end. I was sitting in the grandstand at that turn. The web pages show the carnage as Nick Ham's Mazda hit the #31 Daytona Prototype right at the left front wheel, flew over it while making an Immelman turn in the air and coming to rest on its wheels...well, the remains of 'em, anyway. Pretty good 3-point landing. What happened is pretty obvious:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2007/crash070915/20070915.html

Anyway, I had a great day and I'd like to thank Paul for his company and takin my vest back to the media office. One other thing. When I got home, I ordered a whole bunch of colored wristbands. I realize that this is probably morally wrong, but then, since there are those who want to take whatever it is that I have away from me (it's called capitalism) I figger that I can play the same game. I dunno if I'll ever use 'em and they won't pass close scrutiny, but dammit, I'm tired of gettin jerked around. I hope I don't need to use 'em, but if I do, I got 'em. Now...all I need is a stamp with some ultraviolet ink so I can "re-enter" car shows and stuff. Rats is sneaky. Besides: old age and treachery will overcome youthful enthusiasm every time. ;)

I gotta send Al an email and see if she wants to get back on the list. For those who haven't met her, she's a sweetheart. And a damned good painter:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2008/200809121314/05_oddsnends/20080912_0794r8_jpg.html

I'm outta here.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 5/16/2010 7:36 AM, Michael Wells wrote:
Sorry, She who must be obeyed allows me Saturdays at the track since she usually works on Saturdays, but Sundays are for her (with few exceptions) so I'll be spending the day with my lovely bride, but wishing I was out at the track. Have fun!

Zamboni

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Well, my technical difficulties are taken care of and I think I've
    come to terms with what I'm gonna do.  I'm gonna cut back on the
    push for sales and get back to enjoying my insanity.  Haven't dome
    a lotta that lately.  I'm gonna send +++++~~~~~ out into the
    cosmos (in the form of prayer and meditation) and of people want
    to pay me for my shots, fine.  But if they don't, I'm not gonna
    try to sell 'em something they don't want.

    Herr Doktor Zamboni, are you gonna make it tomorrow?  I got yer
    stuff in the Burb.

    Hopw to see y'all tomorrow.

    Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email
program

    On 5/15/2010 9:25 PM, Michael Wells wrote:
    It was another good day at the track, the weather was almost
    perfect and the cars were entertaining. I will post some pictures
    of a major crash during the final race, it not only happened
    right in front of me I was so close I was hit in the head by a
    flying rock kicked up by the car. So being hit in the head again
    I shouldn't have to explain myself, dents in my dome should be
    self explanatory. That being said, Larry and I were entertained
    by a guy in the Miata I've posted two weeks ago at the first
    round on the MPRA. Well this week was no exception even after
    having crashed into the wall causing some serious damage to the
    front suspension of this car he was back on the track today and
    true to form he was all over the track again. Here's a shot of
    him trying to negotiate the final turn before the front straight.

    On another note, I took a number of pictures of Dave Dingman's
    #18 Mazada and one of those pictures was used on his promotional
    calendar, as soon as I can I'll scan it for you to see. Paul and
    I both got an autographed copy, Paul has one signed by both the
    driver and the photographer, lucky guy.

    I'll be posting again soon,

    The Great Zamboni

-- Michael Wells