[ratpack] Quick update

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 23:07:20 -0600

Up periscope. Been running sorta silent and deep for a while as I thrashed to catch up on stuff. Most of the "current backlog" has been dealt with, including the Mudslinger's race:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2010/20100627/Welcome.html

Spent a lotta the day shootin this and that at the track. Personal observation: I can't remember seeing the place that densely packed with haulers, EZ-Ups and God knows what all. Sorta like Superbike but with bigger race vehicles.

I went to see the Pirate (Les Long) after getting my blue vest (don't even think about tryin to fake one. It's so ALMS/IMSA specific that it'd be cheaper to bribe someone to get the real deal than tryin to make anything like it....and it's hot, too) and he intimated that PCA is suing Miller's (or maybe just threatened to sue) over the use of the PCA name, so the event Les is promoting is now called the Air Power Invitational. He was real happy with the poster I had made for him in advance. So was JR Smith. George Smith had some suggestions for how he wanted a poster. Aaron Pfadt wants a CD of photos...I guess you could say I spent the first hour or so doing personal selling. If I knew I'd be doing this 5 years ago, I'd be spinning at 7 grand in my grave if I was alive today....or something like that. I guess the saying I repeated like a mantra, "I used to hate selling. But I'm better at it now and every time I make a sales call/pitch , I get a little better" seems to be working as "positive self-talk" for those who dabble in psychobabble. :)

I set up to shoot from Turn One at the trailer/photographers' stand on the west side of the kitty litter. Tripod, cable release, 100-400 lens and 1.4 converter. Results in photo 0098r8. Acceptable, but I can't say I'm crazy about the heat distortion and its watercolor-like effect, but I guess anybody shootin over that distance will have the same results. Btw, I need a fluid-drive tripod head. I can't turn mine smoothly enough. Amazon, here we come: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6FF/ref=ox_ya_os_product Well, there went $90. But I knew I'd need one for the salt this year.

I continued doing some sighting in from Turn 3, turn 6, then The Attitudes. The other shots are from The Attitudes...including our very own Melanie Snow gettin a little air over the rumble strips. Very little, but air nonetheless.

The IMSA lights and the Radicals are back and there seems to be a never-ending supply of 'em. Speakin of Radicals, Wozzname Tatum has a Radical for sale (If he was giving it away would it be a free radical?...never mind. I'm just real tired.) The interesting thing about this one is that it's marked as an A/SR. I figgered that would be an SR8. No, it's an SR3. I give up. Did somebody throw a Chevy Big Block down the hatch while I wasn't looking? Here's what SCCA sez about it. http://runoffs.na-motorsports.com/97/classes.html There's a shot of it attached.

Gotta be there early tomorrow. The "Air Power Invitational" practice starts at 8 am.

G'nite.  Down periscope.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program