[ratpack] Our Michelin tires just paid for themselves...Welll...almost

  • From: humminboid@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ratpack <ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 21:24:38 +0000 (UTC)

My wife ran over a piece of metal road trash Wednesday. Ruined one of
our tires.  Unrepairable.

Soooo...replace it, right? Not hardly! What with all the computer controlled
wizardry in modern cars, tires must be a close match for each other, or
anti-skid braking and power transfer to the wheels can be compromised. I'm not
an auto guy, and that's what I was told. Lawyerproofing to the nth degree, but
you can't fight it.

My tires were not within spec.

Went to Costco, where I bought them. That model was discontinued, AND due to
advice of our dealership regarding potential braking/power application problems
from the different size tires, which validated the above, they couldn't replace
just one or two.

But, what with discounts, road hazard coverage, and the fact that Michelin gave
an 80% alowance for the replacement of the 3 discontinued tires, a new set of
equivalent Michelins, which I paid ~$700 for 2 years ago, cost me $71 out the
door!

I had visions of the $$ I have saved for a new Nikon 70-300 lens waving good
bye! (Sigh of relief!)

The premium we paid for the tires, that seemed so extravagant two years ago was
extremely worth it, IMO.

Life does go on, and it is good, even if I am not at ALMS!