[ratpack] Re: Credentials

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 12:37:43 -0600

After talking with John Gardner about credential requests, and in particular, www.landracing.com (he said "give it a try") he denied my request. I pointed out some things he might not be aware of (like my photos of MMP on landracing) and asked him to reconsider. I haven't heard from him.

If I don't hear back and I don't get credentials for this weekend, I'm considering severing my relationship with MMP. The credential hoops and changing rules and moving targets are too much hassle. I may just cut back to doing car shows and the salt flats. It would sure be a nice thing not to have to do a paper chase for every fucking event and find myself in conflict with the "big boys" who have corporate backing and departments who handle all that stuff for 'em. Working 16-18 hours a day to get all the photos edited and on the web is gettin to be a real energy drain. I know that it's something that I've chosen to do, but it might just be for the best if I didn't have that never-ending series of hoops to jump through.

When Spencer Young bought the old Bonneville Raceway Park and built Rocky Mountain Raceway, it just stopped being fun. I'd been a permanent fixture at the Saturday nite roundy-round races and ran my Monte Carlo on the drag strip there. After numerous incidents (the biggest one was not being allowed to bring a "cold cup" of water into the track) I decided that the costs outweighed the benefits and I stopped giving Mr. Young my money. I haven't regretted it at all. MMP is starting to get that way for me.

Since Larry's death, the track has begun a downward spiral that just doesn't look very good. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't go up for sale or just closed down. But aside from that negativity, I get the feeling that they'd rather not have to bother with ANY photographers, no matter how much free PR they get. We've discussed this in the past and I don't see any changes that would make things better.

So if I don't get the credentials for this weekend, I'll shoot the Peach Days car show in Brigham City and probably not even bother going back to MMP. Besides: next year is lookin awful bleak as far as events. No ALMS, no vintage or historic races, only Superbike, Grand-Am and NASCAR West (combining 'em is really a dumb idea) and some bread and circuses for the masses like the off-road stuff. Superbike has been a pita from the word go and that only leaves 2 major events. I can live without 'em.

RtR

On 9/7/2010 1:56 PM, PAUL W WATSON wrote:
Yes,
Does anybody know what track configuration[s] are being used? NASCAR in the past has used the 3 mile perimeter track and the Grand Am cars use the full 4.5 mile track.
Paul