[radioastro] Re: Strong type III burst and C5 flare on 100818 near 6 UT

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juan Fernando Tonatiuh Hernández Escobar <cecilixz@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Marco Nicolini <heygio@xxxxxxxx>, Peter Hughes <PHughes@xxxxxxxxxx>, David Fields <fieldsde@xxxxxxx>, Steve McCauley <esmac@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Typinski <davetyp@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Whitham D. Reeve" <whitreeve@xxxxxxxxx>, Terrence Flower <tfflower@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Thieman <james.r.thieman@xxxxxxxx>, Divyadarshan Purohit <divyadarshan63@xxxxxxxxx>, Ramón Menéndez-Manjón <ramon.ramon.astronomers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:36:29 -0700

Hello Everybody,

I attach a detail from the STEREO WAVES spectrum:
http://swaves.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s-waves-ds/2010/swaves_summary_20100818_c.png

The black time ticks are at 6 and 7 UT.
The white line is at 16 MHz, and the upper edge is near 2 MHz (log scale).

This was an interesting flare and radio event.
The flare and CME look beautiful, just below the western limb, in the movie:
http://sdowww.lmsal.com/sdomedia/ssw/ssw_client/data/ssw_service_100818_032522_31724449/www/ssw_cutout_20100818_043001_aia_171_N17W88_20100818_043000_m.mpg

The type III activity lasted for about 30 minutes at 16 MHz, and it was
followed by  type II. I think we see fundamental and second harmonic, but I
have not checked carefully the frequencies. The overall event, down to low
frequencies, lasted more than 4 hours.

As you know, the type II drift rate is much slower than type III.

Victor
//www.freelists.org/archive/radioastro