[racktables-users] Re: Reports with tags

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 19:25:00 +0400

[...]

> I see that flexible reporting is non-existent in this release.

In a sense, no, it is not. But in a sense, yes, it is. What you need is doable,
but perhaps not in the way you were expecting.

> I have an immediate need for a report of UNIX hosts, location and OS
> version.... I have been poking around a bit... I can see no simple way to
> get this....  For whatever reason the Admin prior decided to use Status
> and location as a tag... So I can find no easy way to generate a report...
> It seems rather convoluted at best. Since tags is not a field I can
> query on I am at loss as how best to get this report without some sort
> of logic - like dump all with tag_id this then print the name based on
> that tag id, etc...
>
> Please advise... any suggestions on how I can get this report?

It may turn out, that the prior admin actually did objects markup the right
way. The matter is, when you browse the full objects list and refine filter
criterias, you may be already seeing a break-down of current list against
categories, which are not yet selected. In this case you only have to write a
custom script, which will format the same data in a different way.

You will need a function, which is available in 0.19 branch only, please
consider making a backup and upgrading to 0.19.4 before starting the report.

--
 Denis Ovsienko