[racktables-users] Re: Import Script

  • From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 13:03:37 -0500

Gonzalo Servat wrote:
On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Troy Rose <troyjrose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Then why not use the racktables api to import and update the data?

I've setup a quick Thrift interface which allows you to call Racktables
API's from PHP directly, but the advantage of using Thrift is that you can
call the "server" side from most languages (ruby, perl, java, c++, php, erl
etc).

That way you dont really have to be concerned about the racktables schema,
you stick with the API calls (which in theory should be more stable).

Sounds like a good idea. This is the first time I've heard of Thrift.
Do you have an example to get me started? Just had a look at the site,
but it is clear as mud for now how it works.

Same here - although I don't really understand how an api is going to be much more immune to changes than the underlying sql when additions are made to the underlying data. And while it seems like a good idea in theory, tracking 3 different api's in different languages could be even worse than following the sql schemas in terms of how much you need to know about the code.

Did you end up writing a complete intermediate database so you could track changes against it or do you do full updates?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx