[racktables-users] Re: %GPASS% and server model

  • From: Frank Altpeter <frank-racktables@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:37:31 +0100

Moin,

on 2011-03-16 at 15:22:42 CET, Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please explain me logic behind %GPASS% in models list?
>
> First, I'm not sure how useful it is. The hardware lists become so long
> that you don't see vendor for some hardware types (i.e. some Dells).
> Morover, adding new hardware is much harder with %GPASS%, especially if
> you try do it  some automatic way.
>
> Second, It's inconsistent. I.e. for Dell and HP %GPASS% is after
> 'product line name' for Sun or SGI is after vendor name. The situation
> is even worst for 'disk array models'. Where some boxes has %GPASS% some
> not.
>
> I would personally prefer to drop %GPASS% totally. Moreover, I'm not
> sure if predefine hardware list is useful.

Big NACK :-)

It has its sense and I find it useful. For example, the "HW Type" groups
the entries together based on the string on the left of the %GPASS% or
%GSKIP% marker.

So, you have for example

Dell PowerEdge
    1550
    1650
    1800
    1850

and so on at the HW Type dropdown list. With GPASS this will be "Dell
PowerEdge 1550" for the objects display, and with GSKIP it would be
"1550". So you can create more meaningful presentation of hardware types.
If you completely drop the GPASS, this will be impossible, and you would
have

Dell PowerEdge 1550
Dell PowerEdge 1650
Dell PowerEdge 1800
Dell PowerEdge 1850

which i would not like.

Additionally, I would not like to have some kind of free text field
instead of the dropdown list. It would make it impossible to have clean
definition of hardware types and thus no chance to get listings of - for
example - every PowerEdge 1550 around, because with a free text field you
can't make sure that all editors keep the same naming convention.
Just click on an object and then on the hw type to see what I mean :)

And besides that... you are able to expand the hw type listing with own
entries, so you even don't need to use the predefined ones. And they are
update-safe.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

        Frank Altpeter

--