[racktables-users] Feature Suggestions

  • From: Costa Galazios <cyandin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 15:25:14 -0500

Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of populating my instance of RT 0.19.4 with
about 2000 devices.

During this process, I've found a few ideas that I'd like to submit for your
consideration.

1. Specify details of failed object creation. When you successfully add a
number of objects, their creation in confirmed in a green background. But,
if only one object fails to create due to a common name conflict, it only
says "Database Error: such record already exists". I believe a more concise
report of what the conflictd were, and what objects were created
successfully, would be good.

2. Deleting objects/racks/etc. - I believe having delete icons next to the
list views of objects etc. would be great, as opposed to only on the
"properties" tab.

3. Object rack placement during creation *big one* - I think it would be
great if we could select a rack, then select to create new objects in that
rack. Then, when creating the new objects, we could specify their rack
position and size in U. This would be a *huge* time saver when creating lots
of devices, since currently I have to first create them all, then manually
associate them with their row/rack/U.

If any of these already exist, sorry for not noticing.

Cheers!