[racktables-users] Re: DRAM Field problems

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:50:06 +0300

30.11.2010, 16:31, "James Osbourn" <james.osbourn@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Thanks for your response, I understand the usage and development of the
> software.
>
> I can add a new attribute or I could update the database manually to change
> the fields that I would like to update.  There are various ways to achieve
> the goal.
>
> My query was if someone had already encountered this, and if the attributes
> where default with the application if there was any plans to update the
> attribute type to floating point.

There is no strict policy on CPU/RAM fields. These were added long ago, when
such data was of business interest in that enviroment. Some users use these
fields, but some don't. As long as no important logic relies on particular
units (and values) of RAM/CPU, you can treat this specific part of RackTables
as a framework and reconfigure appropriately.

If I was again to store RAM data (I don't do currently), i would make it
"dictionary" type or even used tags. In the latter case a planned category tree
would allow for selecting all current servers with "low" memory regardless of
how many megabytes is considered "low" today.

--
    Denis Ovsienko