[racktables-users] Re: BladeCenter Chassis ???

  • From: Ernest Shaffer <ernest.shaffer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:47:43 -0700

I like the way you've used the Front, Interior and Back to represent the blades and switches. I'll have to do the same in my chassis racks.

I didn't notice this being mentioned so here's how I track my chassis, very similar just make sure you mount the blade chassis object in both real rack and the rack that represents that chassis. That way you can navigate easily between racks, blades and chassis.

Lets say I have a 16 slot chassis. I've created a rack with 17 units. The top slot is always the chassis server object and then I populate the other slots with blade objects. I also always prefix my rack names that represent a chassis with HD for High Density, type and location then the chassis object name. That way all my chassis racks are grouped together and easy to navigate.

Example chassis Racks:
HD vmware SAC1 esx100p
HD C7000 SAC1 wbl100p
HD LPAR SAC2 uaix100p

Ernie
On Aug 14, 2009, at 11:19 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

I mean each chassis is 2U of rack space and may have 1 or 2 power connections, but holds 4 systems. I guess they are really called multi-node systems instead of blade servers. Emulating a rack for each 2U chassis doesn't seem like a good fit.

 -Les

Lacayo, Luis F wrote:
We have some dual height blades, and we just use both of the slots for
them, for example 1 and 9.
Luis