[racktables-users] Re: Antwort: Re: Cable Chaining

  • From: Manon Goo <lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Maik Ehinger <m.ehinger@xxxxxxx>, Mahomed Hussein <Mahomed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 02:38:32 +0100

Hi Maik, Hi Dennis,

I have looked at Maiks Code, it looks good. Both Maiks and my code offer a similar functionality. I would like to outline the differences to my patch as I see them:

- Integration:
Maiks code is easy to integrate, it does not change the database or patches the code. It cooperates with the way racktables is designed. My code needs to be integrated into the Socure. My code relys on changes to the database.

- flexibility:
Maiks code relys on naming convention, The user has to comply to the naming convention to maintain the functionality. The Port types are configured in the code. My code does not rely on naming convention. Any Port name can be linked an to any Portname and renamed without breaking the ties. I use configation stored in the database accessible via the "Port compatibility" configuration.

I think that Maiks code is the right way to go if you want and Add-On and do not want to modify the database and the Source code. My code aims to represent the Cable Chaining in the Database and tries to be Part of the System Core instead of an Add-On.

I believe that both impelentations and the reponse on the list show that there is some demand for representing Cable Chaining/routing in recktables. Looking at closed source datacenter-documentation tools shows functionality related to Maiks and my work lies in fileds like:
        - Calculating cable lenth
        - Adding up Servers Power consumption on a PDU
        - Calculating impact/dependencys of the loss of (multiplexed) WAN Lines
        - Maintaining Cable inventories

My code is in Production in Our Site since August, we have documented about 4 Racks with it, 20 more Racks are to be documented.

My code will need some rework:
        - The recursion limit Maik has in his work is a good idea
        - I would like to move the recursive query into a database stored
Procedure
- The interface to Query a Port and the Cable chain could be better integrated.

Maik how do you view these issues ?

Yours,
Manon

--On December 09, 2011 10:57:23 +0100 Maik Ehinger <m.ehinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Mahomed,

it's a RT plugin i have written (see attchement).

I'm not sure  if it works correclty in all cases and how it performs on
bigger installations.

It's only tested on my very small Developmentsystem ( ~30 Objects ,
~25Links).

Feedback welcome.

Kind regards

Maik

Maik Ehinger

L'TUR  Tourismus AG

Stolzenbergstr. 13
76532 Baden-Baden
Tel. +49 7221 366 138
Fax  +49 7221 366 88138
www.ltur.com  [Image: ""]

L'TUR  Tourismus AG - Europe's No. 1 for Last-Minute-Travel with 165
shops in six European countries
L'TUR  Tourismus AG, Augustaplatz 8, 76530 Baden-Baden, Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Karlheinz Kögel
Vorsitzender des Vorstands: Markus Orth, Vorstand: Carsten Burgmann, Kai
Klitzke, Sven Schikarsky
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 201600

Von:        Mahomed Hussein <Mahomed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
An:        "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "lists@xxxxxxxx" <lists@xxxxxxxx>
Datum:        07.12.2011 10:10
Betreff:        [racktables-users] Re: Cable Chaining
Gesendet von:        racktables-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Maik

On a side note, your screenshot looks interesting. How have you achieved
that?

Kind regards,