RAC ORA-

  • From: Harish Kalra <hkalra27@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RacDBA <racdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 00:59:26 +0100 (BST)

All,

  I have a 2 node 10g RAC setup on linux boxes with NetApp storage. It is a
shared infrastructure where different applications are accessing the database
so I have created one service per application.

  One cluster node is configured as preferred and the other as available for
the services. Applications are using client side load balancing using
LOAD_BALANCE=ON in their tnsnames.ora and receiving ORA-12545 occasionally.

  I enabled the debug trace for listener and found that users are getting this
error only when their database connection requests are being received by the
listener running on the available node (Please note that the service user is
intending to connect is not running on available node).

  If I modify the service and made both cluster node preferred then end users
does not get any error.

  To explain this further, consider the extract from a client's tnsnames.ora as
shown below: (For security I have renamed the hostnames)

ORCL.S001 =
(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = host01-vip.domain.com)(PORT = 1521))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = host02-vip.domain.com)(PORT = 1521))
(LOAD_BALANCE = ON)
(FAILOVER = ON) )
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = S001.domain.com) ) )

Client is trying to connect to the database ORCL using Oracle 10g Service
"S001.domain.com". But when client connects to the database ORCL, occasionally
receive error ORA-12545.

To analyze further, I enabled the debug trace in the sqlnet.ora at client
machine by setting parameter TRACE_CLIENT_LEVEL = support and connected the
database ORCL using the "S001.domain.com" service. Again I received ORA-12545
and found following in the sqlnet.log on client machine:

Fatal NI connect error 12545, connecting to:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=host02-vip.domain.com)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=S001.domain.com)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin\sqlplus.exe)(HOST=PDUBAR-AU)(USER=pdubar))))

VERSION INFORMATION: TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 -
Production Time: 13-MAY-2008 11:27:34
Tracing to file: C:\Documents and Settings\pdubar\cli_5308_1.trc
Tns error struct: ns main err code: 12545
TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
ns secondary err code: 12560
nt main err code: 515
TNS-00515: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
nt secondary err code: 1001
nt OS err code: 0

So from the trace file, it clearly shows that client is receiving error
ORA-12545 only if it is connecting to "S001.domain.com" on node
host02-vip.domain.com.

But why client is not able to connect to S001.domain.com service on host02-vip.
Should not listener running on host02 redirect the connection to host01?.

Here is the output of lsnrctl services from host02:

Service "S001.domain.com"
has 1 instance(s). Instance "ORCL1", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this
service... Handler(s): "DEDICATED" established:7 refused:0 state:ready
REMOTE SERVER (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=host01-vip)(PORT=1521)))

  Remote_listener parameter is also set on this cluster database.

  My question is :

  Is this the expected behavior? If yes then what is fun of enabling the load
balancing?

  Thanks & Regards
  -Harish Kalra

 What is your Emotional Quotient? Find out.