RAC Global Cache Null to X wait event..

  • From: "Dubovecky, Jeffrey P" <jpdubovecky@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <racdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:59:35 -0400

RAC DBA's,

I'm running into an issue with a Global Cache Null to X wait event that we've
found during an LTOM trace.  It seems that the issue in question is that we're
inserting records into a block and deleteing different records from the same
block, or at least that's how it appears from the LTOM trace.   We also know we
have interconnect issues, as the interconnect is on a public network and not on
a private network.  This wait event happens a few times during the day, however
it can take a PL/SQL routine up to 20 seconds to complete and is not specific
to a specific PL/SQL routine that may insert/delete records from the same set
of tables.  So here are my questions:

1.  Could the interconnect being on a public network exaggerate the Global
Cache Null to X wait event?
2.  Besides rewriting the application to perform the delete at a later
timeframe, what other suggestions can be implemented to reduce this wait event.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me in advance - JPD

Jeff Dubovecky
Consulting Engineer
ANSALDO STS
Union Switch & Signal