[racattack] Re: Will Aurora take over RAC ?

  • From: Erik Benner <erik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 23:05:25 -0400

You can also create a RAC cluster in the OPC in only a few minutes, with none of the creation issues a scratch built cluster has. As far as Oracle pricing, yeah.. it can be high at times, but I have also seen clients get ridiculous discounts at times, it ll depends on who is negotiating. No one pays list, or even close to list with Oracle.

Have you looked at some of the 12.2 RAC features, like the reader nodes and the load aware placement? Is anyone looking at these outside of the larger Enterprise shops?

Erik

On 4/3/2017 5:39 PM, MoroccoIT wrote:

/Hey Folks,/

I've been an Oracle RAC fan and used it for about 10yrs, but I was totally blown away when I started using AWS/Aurora for about 6 months now. Aurora has Cluster technology built-in out of the box. Setting up RAC can be very involved & must be done properly and not to mention the cost that comes with it. But, creating an Aurora instance takes me less 15 minutes including Cluster. You can create cluster within the same region or across regions on the FLY..

The bottom line, I am getting hooked to Aurora and not sure if one of these days Aurora will eat RAC's lunch especially when Oracle prices have been going to the roof. I am an IT consultant and almost every client I've worked with, asked me to migrate their Oracle DB to AWS/Aurora which very concerning for those folks who make a living off Oracle. In fact, my current client lost 2 Sr. DBAs because they didn't want to learn Cloud or they didn't see a reason for them to stick around since their company has migrated over 70% of their Oracle DBs to the Cloud Aurora. In other words, it is always a good idea to have a plan-B - get involved with open source databases and learn new stuff - better be safe than sorry. Soon we will be talking about AuroraAttack :)

/Cheers,
-AJ/

Erik Benner
770-355-9294 (M) | erik@xxxxxxxxx