[racattack] Re: RACAttack on steroids (how to speed up deployment) We need volunteers for implementation

  • From: Hans Forbrich <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 10:04:30 -0700

Let me know where I can help. Kind-a interested in learning the Vagrant+packer side as that will kick-start tech for some of the classes I will have in the future, but I'll help where it's needed.

/Hans

On 25/01/2014 9:44 AM, Leighton Nelson wrote:
I think everyone is in agreement with there being two options - pre-configured setup without Oracle software (Virtualbox images) & partly/fully automated setup (Vagrant+packer). IMHO value lies in both approaches. Speaking from a user-group event perspective it would be good for us to get feedback from users and use that as input to drive our development efforts.

Next step is to have contributors working on parallel on two options. Can we have two teams setup and begin working on the project? I believe Marcin is leading the first option (correct me of I'm wrong). Should we or do we need a github setup? For the second option myself and I presume Jeremy and anyone interested can work with Alvaro to do the fully automated multiplatform option. Also setup a github for this. Thanks Alvaro for coming on board.

Bear in mind that as we make these options available we also need to update the wiki books. We'll need contributors for this too. Let's also split the threads to focus on each option and keep the discussions focused.

The next formal event is RMOUG in a couple weeks but I think we'll still use the manual steps. Hopefully we can have at least the first option ready for Collaborate in April.

Have a good weekend everyone.

.L

On Saturday, January 25, 2014, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera <kikitux@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kikitux@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello People,

    My name is Alvaro Miranda, based on New Zealand.

    I have been playing with packer and vagrant lately, and looks you
    found the post I did about those.

    Thinking about what you want to do, and based that Oracle Rac on
    linux today can use disks (block device) or NFS, I think we should
    be able to do something like:

    - VirtualBox appliance, pre-configured of 2 or 3 nodes and provide
    the scripts and instructions, in that way, someone wanting to have
    one oracle RAC, can download the appliance, expand it, download
    the binaries, run the script, enjoy 2 cups of coffee and voila.

    - Vagrant + virtualbox, 1 vagrant box of Oracle linux, deploy 3
    nodes, one for NFS, 2 nodes of rac, then, similar to the previous,
    download the binaries and run the scripts.

    I haven't done all installed or stages, as Oracle seems to like
    the end user going to the webpage (otn or edelivery) to download
    the software, so vagrant and scripts work for me.

    Lately I have been using LXC a lot, and I have done stuff like :
    - install on one container, do a backup to disk and restore on the
    2nd node.
    - Similar a previous one, but as dataguard.

    What I am about to do, that I have done in separated bits, but
    will do all toegether is, Enterprise manager on the host, and
    databases on containers, to allow people to see how EM do/handle
    databases, clones, dataguard, learn for a private cloud.

    Let me know what do you think, and how we can get started.

    I use virtualbox, as I personally I think works better than
    vmware, but is just a personal choice, we can do both.

    Alvaro.

    On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Marcin Przepiorowski
    <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        Hi Guys,

        Automation is great but we have to think about one issue
        presented here - http://xkcd.com/1319/
        ;)

        I'm not sure what kind of work is required to install and
        configure Vagrant or solutions proposed by kikiux  - keep in
        mind that for some attendees RAC installation is a one time event.

        I think we should go two ways - build a fully automated
        process for us or people who want to build rac several time
        but also have a option of using VirtualBox scripts plus maybe
        kickstart to help people who will do it only once. The next
        question is if people want to or can install so many different
        software on PC to install VB and RAC ;)

        regards,
        Marcin

        On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Leighton Nelson
        <leightonn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

            Jeremy,
            This is exactly what I was talking about. I see he was
            able to automate it using LXC too. We should definitely
            try to get this guy onboard or at least fork his code on
            git. I haven't looked at packer yet but seems quite useful
            too.

            On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM, Jeremy Schneider
            <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                Leighton, I'm also doing work along the same lines as
                you.  (I think this is the best way forward.)  We're
                not the only ones working on it either: Alvaro Miranda
                from New Zealand seems to be a bit ahead of us - I
                think he's already automated most of the RAC setup -
                and since he used packer/vagrant, it should be fairly
                easy to run on any virtualization platform.  (But he
                used virtualbox by default anyway!)

                http://kikitux.net/

                His work is on github here:
                https://github.com/kikitux/packer-vagrant-oracle

                Might be worth peeking at, maybe even trying to
                recruit this guy to work with us.  :)

                -J

                --
                http://about.me/jeremy_schneider

                On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Leighton Nelson
                <leightonn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                    Since we're hijacking threads I'll add my two
                    cents. I think the methods of distributing VDI is
                    good but still leaves room for error (improvement)
                    to created a fully automated install. I've been
                    experimenting with Vagrant
                    (http://www.vagrantup.com) to create an
                    environment (on steroids). The basic is idea is to
                    configure a minimal "base box" then provision the
                    VMs automagically with scripts or other
                    provisioning alternatives (Chef Solo, Puppet) etc.
                    The thing I like about it is that it allows you to
                    use the same commands on all platforms and works
                    with multiple providers. A provider is just a
                    virtualization platform like VirtualBox which is
                    supported by default. It also can work with VMware
                    and AWS (RAC in the Cloud anyone?).
                    Vagrant also allows us to do multiple machine
                    configuration so it's possible to do a n-node
                    configuration. Another neat feature is the ability
                    to call scripts from the guests located on the
                    host and access files on the host via synced
                    folders. How I imagine it is that once the
                    guest VMs are provisioned we would be required to
                    download and stage the oracle bits on the hosts in
                    a defined location. Vagrant can then pick these up
                    and run the silent installation

--
Regards,
Leighton L. Nelson