[racattack] Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: RAC Attack configuration question....

  • From: "Mark J. Bobak" <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 15:22:32 -0400

I ran into two significant problems.

1.) libjajabvm12.a is in $ORACLE_HOME/javavm/jdk/jdk7/lib but not in
$ORACLE_HOME/lib, so linking of one or more RMAN targets fails. (This, I
thought, was a 12.1.0.2) issue. Seems to exist in both GRID and DB homes.
Fix is the same, just sym link the library into the correct location.

2.) Perl binary provided with Oracle 12.1.0.2 is broken. (Core dumps when
you try to execute perl binary.) Solution is to download perl-5.14.1 from
CPAN, compile from source, and it works fine. (This issue only exists with
VB 5.0. Which version of VB are you using?)

-Mark

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Erik Benner <erik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I did a fresh install of OL6.3, and then patched it to 6.7 and installed
12.1.0.2, with a CDB and two PDBs and no issues. Where did you have the
problem? Maybe I missed the issue? the VM is KVM based paravirtualized with
VT-x, PAE/NX and Nested paging enabled.

[root@ol6 bin]# pwd
/u01/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/perl/bin
[root@ol6 bin]# ./perl -v

This is perl 5, version 14, subversion 1 (v5.14.1) built for
x86_64-linux-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2011, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl". If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

[root@ol6 bin]#

On 8/10/2015 1:42 PM, Mark J. Bobak wrote:

If you read the link in my previous message, really odd thing, is that it
also happens in recent versions of VMWare! Really strange, that it
independently appears in recent versions of two different virtualization
systems.

Also, I didn't read the details of the nature of the error....something
about I/O...I just used the info to solve my problem.

-Mark

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Bobby Curtis <curtisbl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mark,

You are absolutely right. The Perl issue in 12.1.0.2 is related to
VirtualBox 5.0. Danny Bryant and I have been battling this for awhile
now. Weird issue with VirtualBox 5.0 I guess.

Thanks

Bobby

On Aug 10, 2015, at 11:34 AM, Mark J. Bobak <mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Erik,

I can tell you from first hand experience, that if you use VirtualBox
5.0, the perl that's packaged with 12.1.0.2 will break. (Core dumps) The
fix is to download perl-5.14.1 from CPAN and compile from source. Once you
do that, it works fine.

Details here:

http://laurent-leturgez.com/2015/05/26/oracle-12c-vmware-fusion-and-the-perl-binarys-segmentation-fault/

-Mark

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Erik Benner <erik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Generally I have used the latest VBox 4.x, and OL6.x, the directions
work fine.
Don't use OL7, but vbox 5 should mostly be OK, I have not do it with
vbox 5 yet,. but have a Solaris version working on that release with no
issues.

Erik

On 8/6/2015 2:43 PM, Jeremy Schneider wrote:

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Mark J. Bobak <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
<mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, I'm going to be leading a RAC Attack event in November, so, I thought
I'd better get up to speed with the latest versions of VirtualBox, OL, and
Oracle. I've done a RAC Attack setup a couple of times before, but it's
been a year or more.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Alfredo Abate <alfredo.abate@xxxxxxxxx>
<alfredo.abate@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Thanks for those providing those notes! We are having a RAC Attack event
in Chicago in a few weeks and I plan to get started on the installs this
weekend so I'm sure this will help.

Mark and Alfredo - could you list your events athttp://racattack.org/events
? One of the best things about this list
is that you can see who has recently run events. Ludovico, Erik and
Bobby have all run recent events and Markus Flechtner has one
scheduled two weeks from now in Germany.

Ludovico, Erik, Bobby and Markus: what versions of Enterprise Linux
and VirtualBox have you used? Website says EL 6.4 and VirtualBox
4.2.12 to 4.2.18 (software components page). Have you guys already
used newer version of EL and VirtualBox? We might want to wait and
tackle RH7 and database 12.2 at the same. (I have no inside knowledge
about 12.2 but 161818.1 says that 12.1.0.2 is terminal so 12.2 must be
coming next.)

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Mark J. Bobak <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
<mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

FYI, all my recent testing was VirtualBox 5.0, OL 6.7, and Oracle 12.1.0.2.

Mark, thanks for testing virtualbox 5! for the most stable
experience, stick with the tested version for your class. to join the
ranks of racattack legends, use virtualbox5 in your classes - and make
sure to incorporate any lessons learned back into the wikibook! it's
very easy to edit the pages, don't be afraid. :) virtualbox5 is
definitely important to get on top of and your notes already provide a
great starting point. Alvaro if you have time to verify Mark's notes
then you two could probably start updating the official wiki
instructions.

one idea would be to initially put the virtualbox 5 differences in
infoboxes or something, then move them to the main text after they've
been tested by a few classes. just to make sure that the wiki remains
somewhat stable as we update it, since people all over the world are
using these lab instructions to run rac attack workshops.

-Jeremy

--http://about.me/jeremy_schneider

--
Erik Benner 770-355-9294 cell