[racattack] Fwd: Re: Fwd: RAC Attack configuration question....

  • From: "Mark J. Bobak" <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 11:43:00 -0400

Hi Guys,

I didn't know there was a RAC Attack specific list! Cool!

Thanks to Jeremy, Marcin and Alvaro.

So, I'm going to be leading a RAC Attack event in November, so, I thought
I'd better get up to speed with the latest versions of VirtualBox, OL, and
Oracle. I've done a RAC Attack setup a couple of times before, but it's
been a year or more.

Here's some stuff I found, probably not news to you, if you already have
been through the ringer with the latest versions.

If you're on VirtualBox 5.0, perl provided by Oracle in 12.1.0.2 is
broken. Fix is to download 5.14.1 from CPAN and build from source. (I've
scripted this solution, so running my fix_perl.sh script on each node will
take care of it.)

If you're doing 12.1.0.2, you probably need to create one additional 5 GB
shared device, and make the DATA diskgroup 15 GB instead of 10 GB. (It
looks like 12.1.0.2 has some new ASM management DB? Not sure what that's
all about yet.) Anyhow, if you don't add the extra 5 GB, the starter
database creation blows up.

If you're installing 12.1.0.2, there's the libjavavm12.a missing error.
Need to do a symlink:
ln -s $ORACLE_HOME/javavm/jdk/jdk7/lib/libjavavm12.a $ORACLE_HOME/lib

That's pretty much it, I think.....

Oh, the problem I was having w/ resolv.conf:
I finally got it to stop overwriting resolv.conf, but I didn't like the
fact that with eth2 set to NAT, the VMs can't see the internet. So, I
changed eth2 to be bridged, and now my resolv.conf is overwritten every
time, and it has three nameserver lines, 192.168.78.51, 192.168.78.52, and
192.168.1.1. The last one is my router, and does name resolution for the
internet. So, this way, all the RAC Attack stuff still works, and I have
internet access.

Is there a reason RAC Attack manual says to do NAT? Is that just for
security?

That's all for now.

Thanks,

-Mark

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM
Subject: RAC Attack configuration question....
To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi guys,

I'm working on setting up a RAC Attack installation on my new 16GB Macbook
Pro.

VirtualBox version: 5.0
Host: Mac OS X 10.10.4
Guest: Oracle Linux 6.7

I've gone through as far as creating the first VM, and I've configured
bind/DNS, and I've modified /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2
to set PEERDNS, DEFROUTE, and PEERROUTES all to no.

after stopping and restarting the network service:
service network restart

my /etc/resolv.conf looks like this:
[root@racattack1 ~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf

; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script

nameserver 192.168.78.51

nameserver 192.168.78.52

nameserver 192.168.1.1 <<--- This doesn't belong

search racattack

This looks ok, except the third nameserver line should not be present.

If I remove it, and then restart the network service again, that line
comes back. So, I'm not sure where it's coming from. Also, it's my
understanding (from the RAC Attack documentation) that if PEERDNS=no,
then the /etc/resolv.conf file should *not* be re-written...but it is.

Has anyone else who's done RAC Attack had this problem?

Thanks,

-Mark

--
Marcin Przepiorowski