[ql06] Re: CRIMINAL: See? Drugs DO kill

  • From: "Ken Campbell" <2kc16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 07:31:45 -0500

I agree with Dawn. The callousness of Cpl. Lott in describing the
incident... There is a death in the end, over what?

In Canada, the PM jokes about toking up once he retires. In Texas, the
fear is so great one eats plastic to hide a bit of dried plant.

The bizarreness of the scenario deals with the whole opening section of
Stuart's book -- what should really be criminal?

I'll stick to my general believe that NO drugs should be illegal. (Nor
should sex. Consensuality and discretion are what would count.) June
Callwood gave a lecture about Casey House in Toronto, back in 1992, when
I was in j-school. She surprised me and said the very same thing --
after describing the emaciating deaths of several people from AIDS
contracted by needles. It was pretty powerful stuff, her holding
someone's hand, and feeling them breathe their last breath... and be no
more. Then wondering how they got to be there? What factors led to it?

Forcing the police to go after these petty things stigmatizes the
individuals in the eyes of the police. And, ultimately, they
"dehumanize" the individuals.

Ken.

--
He who knows others is learned;