[pythran] Pythran summer news

  • From: serge guelton <sguelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythran@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 12:41:56 +0200

Hi pythraners,

Some summer news!

Pierrick and me are working hard to get some Windows support (see PR
#463 and #469). Based on mingw compiler, Visual studio support for C++11
is not enough for us :-/ As a side effect, pip support will be better.

As requested by Valerio, We also added a special __pythran__ global
variable to pythran compiled module, see PR #468.

We have changed the compilation engine of Pythran, it's now based on
distutils, which turns to be more portable.

Pierrick implemnted glimpses of numpy.linalg support. At least dot now
works for 2D arrays, based on blas, obviously.

He also did a lot of cleanup/improvment in the pythonic/ headers!

I have been trying to port pythran to python3. This will likely lead to
dropping python2 support (the semantic of the two languages differ in
some way that supporting both will be a pain). Before doing so, I'd like
some feedback from *you*. The main consequence will be dropping long
support, and consider pythran integers as fixed-length integers. No more
gmp and easier install, btw.

And Conda support is on the way, see #350.

A minor version bump should come with windows support ;-)