[pythran] PEP 576 and PEP 580

  • From: Jeroen Demeyer <J.Demeyer@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythran@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 15:22:49 +0200

Dear Pythran developers,

I want to draw your attention to PEP 576 [1] and 580 [2]. I'm the author of PEP 580. The basic problem that these try to solve is that CPython has various optimizations for calling built-in functions/methods but that user-defined classes cannot benefit from these. Those PEPs define a protocol which every class can use. Since Pythran is all about creating fast functions, I think that it could benefit from a faster calling protocol. The two PEPs in question are two different solutions to this problem. I wrote a comparison in [3] between the two.

So my question to you is: does this look useful for Pythran? If so, do you prefer PEP 576 or PEP 580?

Jeroen.

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0576/
[2] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0580/
[3] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2018-July/154238.html