[pythran] Re: Numpy Benchmarks

  • From: Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythran@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:23:55 -0700

When it comes to interfacing with numpy functions - do you plan to
have a fall-back mode that uses a default numpy function *outside* of
pythran, so that all the numpy functions are 'always available' even
if pythran doesn't provide an optimized version? I suspect you'll say
that you've got your own GC and so this isn't possible, since I'm not
very familiar with pythran's internals I might be asking a silly
question.
There is no fall-back mode, although it would be possible (we are using
a reference counting GC compatible with CPython's one).
To be more precise: we are *not* using a GC, we are using simple reference counting instead. Reference counting garbage collector are a different beast, see for instance the approach here: http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/files/us-bacon/Bacon03Pure.pdf

Mehdi