[pythran] Re: Concerning paper ``A Comparison of programming Languages in Economics''

  • From: Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde <jesusfv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: serge Guelton <serge.guelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 09:17:35 -0400

Thanks for your interest.

I tried and failed at installing pythran. The instructions are not very easy to follow, specially since I do not have a debian platform

On 6/25/14, 8:26 AM, serge Guelton wrote:
Dear Jesús Fernandez-Villaverde,

After reading your paper ``A Comparison of Programming Languages in
Economics'', I wanted to give a try to the Pythran[0] compiler we have
been developing for a few years.

I had no trouble reproducing your benchmarks. On my laptop:

C++ version: 2.17s
Numba version: 2.72s

To use the pythran compiler, I extracted the ``innerloop`` kernel in a
new module and turned it into a native module using Pythran:

     $> pythran RBC.py
     $> python RBC_Python_Pythran.py

and I get a nice 1.81s, faster than the naïve C++ version \o/

for later reference, I have included the whole setup in attachments.
Pythran version is the one from the master at

     https://github.com/serge-sans-paille/pythran

Maybe you could consider add it to your benchmarks?

--
Jesús Fernández-Villaverde
Economics-University of Pennsylvania

君臣上下貴賤皆從法,此謂為大治