[python] Re: wheel flop vs pedaling induced steering

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:55:43 +0100

I uploaded three better pictures of the PX.5 to

http://www.flickr.com/photos/python_uploads/

Maybe the seat/pivot arrangement is better visible now.

Jürgen.

On 29.11.2007 07:42, Dirk Steuwer wrote:
On Wednesday 28 November 2007 21:08:50 Rhisiart Gwilym wrote:
On 28.11.2007 16:50, Kevin Bailey wrote:
 I had assumed that PSI was dependent on the ratio between the
 pedal "width" (distance from the center of the pedal to the
 centerline of the bike) and the BB to pivot distance. Basically,
 that PSI was caused by the sideways component of the pedaller's
 stroke (which attempts to turn the wheel) and corrected by the
 foward component of his stroke (which attempts to straighten the
 wheel.) This ratio is equivalent to that between the pedal width
 and the BB to pivot distance. Put plainly, the further back you
 move the pivot (without changing the pedal width), the less the
 PSI. I assumed this was why the Python was better in this
 respect than the Traylor/Cruzbike designs.
Hello Kevin,

I thought this too - until I built the PX.5, an
experimental prototype where the pivot was moved
25 cm further back than the normal position:

http://python-lowracer.de/pics/Python%20PX.5.jpg

PSI was clearly noticeable and the bike was hardly rideable.

Siwmae Jurgen,

That picture seems to me like a very striking
image of a man actually sitting on a unicycle,
with the one-wheel trailer towed behind, rather
than the rider sitting on the trailer to drive
and steer the front-end/unicycle from behind, so
to speak. Wonder if that has anything to do with
PSI. It's certainly surprising that it comes back
in that layout, and makes the bike hard to
manage. Mysterious!

Cof,  RhG

i had the same impression like RhG. Is this correct Jürgen? i think it could be crucial to have a persons back pressed against the back of the bike to act like a stabilising element instead of allowing free wobble of this part...

Imagine you push into the right pedal, this would steer the bike to the left. But you back would be pressed against the seat on the opposite site - left, the resulting force should swing the rear part round and steer the bike to the right side - hence balance out a possible PIS effect.

Are there bikes with "conventional" python design, but with increased FWA-pivot distance?

Regards,
DirkS