[python] Re: welding

  • From: dan chambers <d.chambers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:56:16 +0000

Dear Brian,

I would suggest some brazing rather than welding.

An oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane set is pretty cheap, especially if you can get
a used set without all the cutting
parts. The comsumables are easy to find, no special helmets required. It's much
more tolerant of thinner walled
tubing, poor cleaning and larger joint gaps. Even with the best TIG, gaps over
0.025" are hard to bridge safely.
Clean up after brazing is more of a hassle though...

I started my framebuilding career with lugless brass, moved on to 40% silver
and lugs, on to TIGged steel, and now
TIGged aluminium. Of the 5 methods, personally I find welding thin steel the
most difficult even with $3000 welder
(let alone a $100 buzz box), brazing steel is definitely the easiest to start.

All the best,

Dan Chambers
Draft Wheelchairs UK