[python] Re: tights-wheel conflict?

  • From: Michael Rienstra <ageless@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:12:02 -0700

Bernard,

I'm hoping that Tom Traylor is right, and that this won't be a problem. In regards to his design, he says (from http://traylorfwd.home.mindspring.com/faq.html ):

Question :
I ride in town a lot and sometimes a sharp turn is needed to get out of the way. What happens to your legs in a sharp turn? - Submitted by mowestusa

Answer :
You would be amazed at how little you turn the front wheel when you go around a corner. In a normal 90 degree turn, such as an intersection, the difference between inside and outside legs is imperceptible. The only time it is noticeable is in a very tight turn at very low speed, and then it is less of a problem than keeping your heel out of the wheel of a SWB recumbent.

I am in traffic almost every time I go riding and I have been riding this type of bike for more than 20 years. It is not a problem.

With his design, he recommends basically zero rake, which means that the wheel is turning on an axis intersecting the hub. This is basically how the Vython behaves when the turning radius is small, but then as the steering radius increases it begins to behave more like a center-pivot Python.

So in theory it will exhibit less TEFT movement than Tom Traylor's design, which he claims doesn't have a problem in this regard (actually, in the quote above he isn't specifically addressing this, but the point is that he has no problem making turns on his bike, and he has done a lot of commuting on his bike).

Build a model of a four bar linkage and you will notice that the longitudinal arms move in unexpected ways! I don't think you could attach the seat to one of them and get the desired affect. But I may be wrong!

Michael