[python] Re: steering damper

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:44:23 +0200

Jürgen Mages wrote:

The non-self-centering ability of the flevo is the
reason, why it is only rideable with a rubber bung
(steering damper) that brings the FW back to the
center, after steering.

Well.... On a vacation, I have been riding my flevo without a damper (it broke off). The flevo is rideable without. It might have helped that I am used to a weak silent blocks (not these stiff once used traditionally on a flevo).

It was annoying though: the moment my feet left the pedals the crankset banged onto the ground. My bike did get a lot of scratches on that trip.

I rode a short while on Torbens python (a bit to big for me). I could only do strait lines but could keep balance (200m one direction, turning, 200m the other). It feels same and also different from a flevo (difficult to explane). I had the feeling that the bike wanted to go strait all the time (even if I didn't want that).

Riding may be ok on this bike, but walking with it is really bad. You have practically to hang over the bike to walk around with it. Could that not be a good reason to use a (weak) silent blok anyway? Just to be able to take the python by the seat and walk.

Dirk