[python] Re: rubber pivot

  • From: olaf <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:03:00 +0100

Hi all,

Here is a vague theory on scientifically shaky grounds:

When comparing how difficult or easy different pythons are to ride we usually compare angles and measures of the bike itself without relating them to the rider. Important for the experience is perhaps also where and how the rider is placed on the bike.

I have looked through python pictures taken from the side with rider mounted. There aren't many, but enough to see that there are differences in where the pivot is situated in respect to rider's body.

When turning a python you use the lower part of your body, the movement begins where the thigh bones connect to pelvis, the rest of the upper body is static. The movement is circular and the centre of this circle is in the middle of your body. Now if the bike doesn't fold right below that centre it will become heavy and unstable to execute this movement, increasingly so the further away from the centre you get. You and the bike aren't aligned.

So perhaps, and here comes the theory, it is important for stability and balance that the pivot is placed below the centre of leg movement AND that the seat and pivot angle are aligned so when drawing a line from the pivot showing the extension of the pivot angle, it should continue upwards through the middle of the riders body.

olaf