[python] Re: rod ends

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:57:35 -0400

Late reply . . .

In building a number of trikes, I was planning to do the same thing and use
1/2" rods ends, similar to what ws done on that trike.  If the king pin
inclination is set up properly for zero scrub radius (or as close as
practical), then there should be at least 15 degree angle to the pivot axis
intersects the ground at the tire's contact patch.  This should take some of
the axial loading and translate it into radial loading which would press the
balls more into the rounded rod ends instead of trying to push them straight
out the tops.  The 1/2" rod ends I use have static loading limits up in the
thousands of ft/lbs, while the dynamic loading is almost double.

All but the very cheap rod ends I've seen have the balls drop in from one
side, then the rode end is swaged down to keep the balls in.  I doubt normal
usage could overpower the swaging force.  Also, this trike looks like it has
4 1/2" rod ends, while I only use 2, like Mike Channon, on my PC2.  I'm not
sure of the durability yet because I haven't got a lot of mileage on it yet,
but maybe the suspension will mediate the shock loads on them and help them
last a little longer.  Time will be the judge I guess.

----- Original Message ----- just this weekend i was in Copenhagen,
where i saw a refreshing array of special bicycles.
among those the nihola tricycle.
http://nihola.info/en/nihola+bikes/nihola+flex/
now pay attention to how they attach the front wheels to the frame;
rod ends

my only concern is that of how rod ends take sheer force.
they are designed to take axial forces.
is the ball in the middle not pressed in the housing?
what if the sheer force (together with dynamic loads from the frontend)
pops out those balls?