[python] Re: riding attempts

  • From: Olaf Johansson <home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:10:45 +0100

On 18 dec 2006, at 05.01, Ray Schumacher wrote:

At 07:11 PM 12/17/2006, you wrote:

If you do use bars, bear in mind that you MUST consciously decide whether your legs or arms will be steering;

But you can't.

In order to tame the python you have to relearn your mind/body reflexes. What has always been natural - to steer with hands and to use the feet for pedalling - must be changed. Telling yourself that steering will be comitted with alternatively hands AND legs will inevitably lead to confusion i the cerebral regions. Especially on occations where there is no time left to think, only to act. Actually, I have never seen any rider on a leg steered bicycle being able to perform smooth coordination between hands and feet while steering. It seems that as long as you keep the handle bars on the bike, they will act as a last resort when something unexpected happens. Letting the hands take command nearly always leads to a moment of reduced balance.

In other words, if you want to make the learning process harder and longer, use handle bars. If you want to adopt the mid-steered gefühl as soon as possible - bite the head of the cat and do some serious efforts. I believe one reason why this is hard to learn is that one underestimates the physical power you will have to use while both pedalling and steering on the same time. In the beginning this type of biking is not an experience of relaxation and comfort. But to any beginner I say: It will be!

olaf