[python] Re: riding attempts

  • From: Ray Schumacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:01:53 -0800

At 07:11 PM 12/17/2006, you wrote:

Thank you for those words of encouragement.  I plan on trying the Python without the handlebars first and if I find it too difficult, I definitely weld them on.

I agree that if you have not ridden a unicycle or airbike etc., you will find the python tough at first. I would have been discouraged without bars on the front end; Jürgen is right, of course, in that learning with bars will slow your transition to hands-free, I really never learned it well enough to take the bars off the front.
If you do use bars, bear in mind that you MUST consciously decide whether your legs or arms will be steering; if you panic and try to use both, you will crash. Always.
I would normally steer with legs, and if in a tight spot, relax them on the pedals and grab the bars.

At least I have a flat parking lot to try the darn thing out on.  I need to try it in secret first because all of my friends think that I am nuts and want to be there with cameras and laugh at my attempts.  I have also bought a pair of leather workman?s gloves to protect my hands.

Good ideas. I practiced first at night with no lights!
With a large practice lot you will be riding the street after two nights.
I always got better after taking a day off.
I also wore my welding gloves.

Try without the bars - if your legs aren't rained enough, then use front bars.

Best,
Ray ============================================================ This is the Python Mailinglist //www.freelists.org/list/python Listmaster: Jürgen Mages jmages@xxxxxx To unsubscribe send an empty mail to python-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field. ============================================================