[python] Re: riding attempts

  • From: Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:34:12 +0000

Siwmae pawb!

Reading all the comments on learning to ride, some questions occur to me:

Are we looking at drastic differences in rideability between different designs?

Is it in the details, like the precise combination of head-angle, trail, seat height, seat position relative to steering joint, wheelbase length, actual angle of recline of the seat, etc?

It seems we must assume differences in aptitude anyway, between riders, and I suppose that's just a matter of luck. But that aside, we seem to be seeing objective design considerations that make a big difference to a python's rideability.

I remember several of the pioneers on the list saying that small modifications to their pythons, after their first attempts to ride, made marked differences to the ease of learning. And I believe that some listees have had the chance to ride several different designs, which must have suggested that some are just easier to ride than others - ?

So - does anyone yet get a sense of what rules of design are emerging here, to make the difference between a sweet-tempered, kindly python and an arab-stallion python?

Apologies if this ground has been covered before and I've missed it. Ghislaine's translation of Laurent's design rules seemed to go some way to teasing out the rules-of-thumb of good design. Does anyone feel able to restate what we think we know, so that an old fuckwit like me can get a grasp of it? It takes me so long to get anything done these days that I'd like to get as mature an idea as I can of what design parameters are crucial before I cut, bend and weld any serious mistakes into my current collection of parts.

Thanks for your patience!

Cofion,   Rhisiart