[python] Re: report: pythoon first ride

  • From: Ken Pendergrass <kenp794@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:21:33 -0400

Hi Dirk and Dirk,
I had a very similar thought just shorten the wheel base. I think the rear wheel between the passenger's legs is an elegant solution. It seems you may have to mount a seat which could be removable to cary only cargo. I like the idea of the cargo area extending back behind the rear wheel. You could even make the rear of the cargo area removable so that if you don't need a truck you don't have to ride one. Best of all this would get your wheel base back to that of a normal bike, where you know your pivot angle would work. However this being your bike not mine you doubtless have our own ideas of how to fix it.
best regards,
Ken
On Oct 12, 2009, at 5:11 AM, dirk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Dirk,

Great design!
I also think along the lines, that the self centering effect is related to the torque as a driving force to bring the bike back into the straight position. Many dimensions, like mass of rear and front part, pivot angle, distances to the wheels, weight of the driver (weight of the drivers legs before the front wheel axis..), etc, have a major impact on this, and not all of them are used by your program. (You should be easily able to verify the correctness of your calculated data by measuring pivot/ground distance in straight and defined angular positions.)

Beyond that, you would have to consider, how the mass is distributed - relative mass with respect to distance from pivot (front & rear part). This, and the change in seat height/turning angle, make up for the correcting torque. The more mass you lift and the higher, the more correcting torque you get. However, when building bigger, heavier bikes, increasing the pivot angle, to have less torque probably gives you more wheel flop. It probably turnes out that if the overall mass of the bike rises, you need more force on the pedals to work against that. You could probably fine tune a little, but what happens when you ride it with and without passenger?

I wonder, if the rear wheel would sit betweeen the passengers legs, far closer to the pivot, how the bike would handle. In this configuration, the mass of the "optional load" would sit around the rear axis, somewhat balancing itself around it, and not changing the effect on the pivot that much. At the same time, the wheelbase is greatly reduce, generally givin the bike a more agily feeling. Also, there is the inverse pendulum effect as seen on any bike. If you tip over to the left, how much do you need to steer/drive towards the left side, in order to overcome this and start tipping to the right? The longer the wheelbase, the more steering it takes to get back to the other side. The heavier the bike is, the more pushing force you need to put into the pedals, to work against the mass of the bike and its load.

It would be great, to have a program, that would caculate/simulate all of this...maybe we could contact some university research folk :-)

greetings,
DirkS