[python] Re: recent rides

  • From: Ray Schümacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:50:50 -0700

>With you mounting your drop outs under the chain stays, do you find that you
>have any chain clearance problems getting to your lowest gear on your
>cluster?

It is very close - on the small chain ring it would rub if I went to the small
cog, but I don't. The large ring clears by ~.5cm on the small cog. It was one
of the least thought-out parts of my bike, but worked out anyway. My heel
sometimes rubs the front frame.
One other thing I noticed was that smooth shoes and plastic pedals are not the
best for this. They do not want to stay on the pedals unless pushing, because
of the vertical foot position.

A higher cadence would be a big help in the climbs. I also find that in high
gear I wobble if my cadence is the "wrong" speed. It might correspond to the
natural frequency of the self-centering frame; I feel like the cadence is in
resonance with my weight. It could be calculated, I would think.

I looked into dampers, but did not find a small, cheap one yet.

(I also need to figure out why I didn't get python posts lately - I saw this on
the list archive. Maybe my filters...)

Ray