[python] Re: rear wheel lockup during braking

  • From: dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:58:48 +0200

Dirk Steuwer wrote:
Hi,

Dirk, i was wondering if the lockup of your rear wheel is related to the mass distribution of your python? More weight on the front wheel is better when cycling (esp. uphill) but worse when braking since the rear wheel will easily lift up. How does the mass distribution of you on your python relate to others?
Hoi Dirk,

I have a slightly longer wheelbase (for a more smooth ride). The big apples that are on the bike are generally very hard pumped up (6bar). And maybe I like to brake hard. These are the reasons I can think of for rear wheel lock ups.

But I have (privately) heard of another one that has fallen from his bike due to rear wheel lock up. One that previously had said me he had no problems with the rear brake because _he_ learned from a motorbike ride to use the rear brake smoothly and with care.... It is not nice to laugh with other peoples misfortunes, but I find it difficult to suppress the grin on my face.

The solution I have now with both brake levers using the same front brake is an okay solution for me. I will be mounting a brake booster, because I can see my frame deforming quite a lot when I pull both handles hard.

(I cannot say that the rear wheel will easily lift up, as I only can do it with both brakes mounted at the front, and only slightly so - nothing like what can be obtained with an upright.)

DirkB ;-)