[python] Re: rear seat support fork questions

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:13:03 +0200

Finally realized that the rear seat support fork (RSSF) is allowed to rotate freely

Right. I love this design, because when it rains the seat stays dryer when folded. Additionally seat inclination can be changed easily with the belt buckle. Also the semi hammock gives some suspension.

So I'm guessing that the seat is held up by the weight of the rider tensioning the safety belts?

Rightyright.

On the construction page, it says to weld the FW hub (for the RSSF) near the rear suspension pivot, for improved seat stability. Can you explain why? I'm trying to figure out where to put it, since I'm using 24" wheels and a shorter wheelbase than p3 (117 cm instead of 130 cm).

Initially, the p3 had the hub at the very rear end of the middle frame http://www.python.tieflieger.net/pics/FW_hub_for_seat.jpg I felt rather instable with this version (no idea why) and moved the hub about 10 cm towards the front. As a rule of thumb I would say to place the hub in the midle between the rear seat plate edge and the rear fender.

Also, the RSSF is curving one way on p3, and another on Maja's p4. Which one would you recommend?

P4 design is better, because it leaves more storage room underneath the seat. Actually I am about to change the p3 RSSF in this sense.

Last question: 28" fork. Is it really a 28" fork?

Ups. I have to correct this in the construction page. P3 + 4 are using very small forks (20"). The fork tube is cut off and a 30 cm tube (e.g. handlebar) is welded directly onto the fork.

I think that we are the same height (I'm 178 cm / 5'10" which makes you about 1 cm or 1/2" taller than me!), funny that my inseam is so much shorter, but I digress.

Peter has the same inseam like me, but he is 7 cm taller. I have very long arms and legs in relation to my height (just like a Gibbon).

Regards from Jürgen.