[python] Re: rear brake

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 22:44:52 +0200

Hej Dirk,

woah - you made your 66 kph downhill rides with just one brake?

To me the rear brake is very important as a drag brake for long descents and for all non-emergency stops. I use an old cantilever brake with a shortened lever and - like Olaf - prefer hard pads. Never had a lock up or a wipe out so far. My front V-brake only comes into play when quick reaction is needed.

Groetjes,
Jürgen.

On 03.05.2008 21:10, dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Listies,

A few weeks ago I installed a second brake on my bike - a rear brake (up to that point I only rode with 1 (front) brake). Unfortunately, since the weight is so low on the rear wheel, I have had it locking up several times now, and last weekend on a longer tour, I even fell of the bike because of it. I find the rear brake positively dangerous, but still I would like to have a second brake in case the front cable breaks.

I am considering what to do, up to now I came up with cutting the brake handle shorter, so I wouldn't be able to apply any force. Maybe other riders have better ideas?

Dirk