[python] Re: rear brake

  • From: Dirk Steuwer <dirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 18:18:59 +0200

Hi Dirk,

Anywhere where you can reduce the leaver. i.e. with the old cantilever type
brakes. There is one cable across (lever to lever)and another connected to
the middle of the cross cable with a triangle. If you use a very long
lever-to-lever cable, the angle becomes worse and the force is greatly
reduced and adjustable!
Also, never V-brakes have dampers installed that create a smoother brake
feeling instead of a sharp brake point. However, i prefer the latter and have
more feeling in my fingers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think because of the V-brake levers being
longer, the handle has a worse lever and the newer handles are anyway
designed for two finger operation. So one of these newer handles matched with
old type brakes should reduce brake force.

Also the old cantilever brakes allow the brake pads to be adjustable in
height. If you can vary the mounting points on your frame, you could adjust
the pads to sit on the highest position in the lever and then weld the
moutingpoint of the lever somewhat more towards the axle.

Regards,
DirkS