[python] Re: python Digest V7 #63

  • From: "Marcel" <oldegrieze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 19:21:23 +0100

[python] Re: python Digest V7 #63Hi,

Maybe the solution of Bram's Tilting Trike will do?
You can go to his site: www.fastfwd.nl It has an English part .
Als trike builder Henri Thomas has a lot of information. He has used the Python
 design for his Jetrike.
See http://www.jetrike.com/index.html
A lot of succes!

greetz
Marcel (the Netherlands)
      Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:16:16 +0800
      Subject: [python] Re: Query about weight distribution
      From: jinlin wen <jinlwen@xxxxxxxxx>

      Dear Mr. Rhisiart Gwilym:
      I am seventy now and had the same experience as you had. Although I really
      admire the python riders,I gave up practicing anyway. I am riding my
python
      trike for two years now. I like it much. I think the geometry of my trike
is
      ok. I have gone through all different road surface and all weather. I
      climbed quit steep hills. The traction was enough. It is an enjoyment
riding
      on ice because the surface is very smooth!

      Jinlin Wen

      2009/10/29 Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        Hi Pythonauts!

        This bruised and strained learner-rider needs a bit of advice.

        My learning-curve on my Python bike is going pretty much as other
        Pythonauts have described their first attempts to ride. But I have a
small
        problem. It's called 'old age': Every time that I fall off, or when I'm
        pushing wildly with my stretched fingertips against the ground to
prevent an
        imminent fall, I seem to bruise or strain something. (Can scarcely type
this
        morning because of a strained right hand)

        I guess it doesn't happen so easily to younger, more elastic bodies.
Nor do
        the resulting minor injuries take so long to get painless, then heal.
('I
        was that way once myself', he mused sadly....)

        So -- ruefully -- I think that I have to bring forward the trike
back-end
        for my Python, which I planned to build anyway, as an alternate for the
        single-wheel back-end. As well as avoiding the slightly worrying build
up of
        little bodily problems from trying to stay on my Python for more than
thirty
        metres (the struggle is also AMAZINGLY hard work; I'm sweating and
panting
        within a minute or two of starting a practice session) I'm also
concerned
        that it's going to take me a long time to get fluent enough at riding
the
        bike to be able to go on the road in traffic. But I want to be able to
use
        my Python this Winter, rather than my conventional bike. I keep no car,
and
        I ride right through the year, as my main form of personal transport,
but I
        had a couple of near-miss worrying incidents last Winter with my
standard
        bike on icy roads.

        Besides this, I've designed into my version of the Python front end
        provision to be able to put a minimal all-weather John-Tetz-style
zote-foam
        fairing onto it, or a fitted spandex cape at least, so that I can ride
in
        heavy rain. Done a few lash-up experiments with this already, and I'm
pretty
        confident that it'll work, even in gusty cross-winds.

        So, everything seems to be pointing towards a trike set-up, at least
until
        I'm fluent enough with my Python-steering reflexes.

        That leads me to ask for some advice: I notice that some trikes have
their
        back wheels set behind the rider's seat, whilst some have them set well
        forward, almost level with the rider. So how does the placing of the
back
        wheels affect the percentage of the overall weight carried by the
        front-wheel -- **and how, therefore, is the crucial traction on
        wet/steep/gravelly surfaces affected?** This is my key question.

        My Python, like my other bikes, will have to be a serious work-horse,
able
        to carry freight, and able to handle any weather conditions and any
surface,
        on or off road. I notice that Henk's trike is a serious load-carrier,
and
        Wen's seems to be pretty good too, and snow-capable.

        Any advice/experience from other Pythonauts about the best way to
design my
        trike back end for this spec. is very welcome.

        I should say too that, despite being in the thick of ironing out the
        wrinkles at the moment, I really LOVE this bike, even though I can't
stay on
        it yet. I can see it becoming my number one personal transport rig
        hereafter. Once again: thanks and respect, Jurgen, for the
trail-blazing.
        Plenty of times the past few days I might have thought: 'I've made a big
        mistake here. This bike isn't rideable,' if I didn't know -- from the
videos
        and the listees' accounts of their early adventures -- that that's not
so.
        With that vital knowledge, I persisted, and already I can see progress
in
        staying balanced and moving forward. But bloody hell I'm all bruises and
        strains, even though I've been practising on short, soft turf.

        Diolch yn fawr/danke schon/many thanks for all advice,   Rhisiart G

      ------------------------------

      Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:03:07 +0000
      From: Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

      Hi Jurgen, and greetings to Wen and George also.
      Damn, that rider in the vid is good. Why can't I ride like that!

      Other related videos offered beside that one led me to this too:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659J7qLFquE&feature=related

      I've felt that I've been within an ace myself of getting that 'click'
      he mentions, in some of my most recent practice rides. Maybe I should
      persist with the bike set-up a little longer(my strained hand is
      better this morning)......

      Many thanks for all the offered useful knowledge. I'm still wavering,
      though: should I go for the complete trike back end, or simply put a
      couple of stabilisers on my bike, just like a little child's first
      bike, and carry on trying to reach that click point?

      I'm tempted to say that I should stick with Wen and the other older
      Pythonauts. I'm only a year behind you, Wen, so -- SOLIDARITY BROTHER!

      But still, it would be nice to get to the breakthrough, and achieve
      that fluent ease of riding, like the young guy in the vid above, or
      like Jurgen doing eight-turns in that video on the Python website.
      Damn!  What do I do......?

      Thanks again to all for the advice.

      Hwyl fawr,  RhG

      End of python Digest V7 #63