[python] Re: python Digest V12 #24

  • From: Paul Needham <paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 07:00:28 +0000

Vi

Ah not caught the 16" wheels !

I have used the one piece cranks pedal axle to pass through a 20" wheel with sealed bearings.

At the crank end it is a 15mm spanner size ? however at the outer wheel end it is a 10mm spanner ?

looks like it is uncharted waters ? so a try and see what happens scenario !

regards Paul

On 11/03/14 05:06, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
python Digest   Mon, 10 Mar 2014        Volume: 12  Issue: 024

In This Issue:
                [python] iLean axles ?
                [python] Re: iLean axles ?

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 07:43:33 +0000
From: Paul Needham <paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [python] iLean axles ?

Hi Vi
Wondered how to contact you as I have a question about your iLean
implementation ?

Why do you weld the wheel axle to the pedal axle ?

Could you not just weld a wheel nut to the inside of each pedal crank
then using another nut on the axle on the outside screw the axle into
the welded nut and then screw the wheel side nut up tight against the
pedal crank ?

I assume you use 9mm axles with no problems ?

regards Paul

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:58:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [python] Re: iLean axles ?

Hi Paul,

The 16" donor wheels came with only 7mm axles, probably not strong enough for
any cargo. The pedal spindles are much bigger, 12mm at crank, 15mm wrench flat, and
~18nm overall, so it's at least 3x stronger based on cross-section area ratio.
Assuming that the pedals are good for 150 lbs (kid), the 7mm axles are only for
50lbs or less.  The wheel axle is used for the ball bearing cone and retaining bolt.
 The pedal flange actually does not fit the wheel ball bearings too well, causing
some grinding / wobbling.  Some machining would be nice.  If your donor wheels have
12mm or bigger axles and seal bearings, your idea should work much smoother.

Vi

________________________________
Wondered how to contact you as I have a question about your iLean
implementation ?

Why do you weld the wheel axle to the pedal axle ?

Could you not just weld a wheel nut to the inside of each pedal crank then
using another nut on the axle on the outside screw the axle into the welded nut
and then screw the wheel side nut up tight against the pedal crank ?

I assume you use 9mm axles with no problems ?

regards Paul

End of python Digest V12 #24