[python] Re: px5 stability

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:02:15 +0200

Olaf Johansson wrote:

The impact from pedalling upon steering has been no problem for me on my flevo bike.

Entirely agreed! Its a technique thing.

In the beginning I could see that the bicycle was slightly shaking its head over my pedalling.

But after a while the legs (somehow) learned to compensate pedalling disturbances. This I experienced both on the flevo, and now on the python.

Dirk

On Mar 29, 2005, at 18:04, ebooth@xxxxxxxx wrote:

What if, instead of rigidly fixing the seat bottom to the front steering
assembly, one attached it to the rear assembly on a swivelling mount, with the
seat back separately and firmly connected to that aft part of the frame? Perhaps
this would accomplish what Frank has in mind.

Eric

Quoting Olaf Johansson <noll@xxxxxxxxx>:

In the original set up with the seat attached to rear part you use a mixture of leaning the legs and swivelling the hip in order to steer. If you sit on the front part of the frame – the part that is to be steered – it will be impossible to manoeuvre the bike unless your shoulders were tightly strapped to the back rest. Even then steering would be a real stunt ;o)

Olaf

On Mar 28, 2005, at 21:18, Frank Parmir wrote:

Hi Jurgen, I've been reading the list for several monts. A  while back
you reported the px2 was not as stable at high speeds as the p1 and
p3. Is the px5, which has the pivot moved to the rear any more or less
stable? I hope to begin building the first python in Columbus, Ohio
(USA) very soon and am anxious to hear.  Also, I am thinking of
attaching the butt bucket part of the seat to the front half to
eliminate pedaling perturbance.  I will still attach the back support
with arm rests for shifters and brakes to the back half. That means
steering by swiveling the hips, not just the legs. Do you have any
predictions about how sucessful that might be.
Also, I'm a little woried. You haven't posted since your speed record.
Are you OK?