[python] Re: pictures again // small vs big weels

  • From: Gerald <bepb@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 23:07:11 +0200

Hi Thia,
now this is great! Ride & Fly!

If you don't mind, will send the link to some friends from my paragliding club - I am a paraglider pilot, too :-).
They know my python and I guess they will like the idea of a flying bike.

BR
Gerald

On 22.5.13 15:35 , chris williams wrote:
Genius! It's inventions like this that make me think we're not just on the fringes of the cycling world, but on the cusp of bigger things to come :-)

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Tihamer Juhasz <balamber@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:balamber@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Gerald,

    Thank you for the reply and the information.

    I spent some more time with my Python and this is what it turned
    into:
    http://myrecumbent.blogspot.ro/2013/05/python-turned-peregrine.html

    Regards, Tiha

    On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Gerald <bepb@xxxxxx
    <mailto:bepb@xxxxxx>> wrote:

        Hi Tiha,
        my congratulations to you new  python, nice work.

        I ride both, a python with 405 (20") wheels and one with 622
        (28") wheels.
        Both ride nice but also quite differently.
        Beside the obvious better maneuverability due to the shorter
        wheelbase, the 20" wheel passes more or less under by legs
        while cornering. This makes it even more easy to take tight
        corners.
        With my 28" Python, the front wheel is actually between my
        legs, and together with the seat, this limits the
        maneuverability significantly. But for speed on flat, open
        roads, the 28" python is the fastest (human powered) bike I
        have ridden yet.
        When you pick a big wheel, you should consider the required in
        seam length of you legs!
        Check http://en.openbike.org/wiki/Wheel_Sizes.
        Actually, for a first python you made a clever choice :-).

        As for moving the pivot behind the seat - one point certainly
        is if the seat is mounted to the rear or the front part. If
        the seat is mounted to the front part, the overall steering
        will change dramatically because you can't steer with you legs
        anymore. Don't know if you could consider it a python at all.

        Best regards
        Gerald

        On 13.5.13 17:56 , Tihamer Juhasz wrote:
        Thanks Philip. I made up a drawing for the front section, the
        wheel cage, in a 3D design sw to calculate the distances and
        the bend angles. Otherwise there was no precise plan before
        starting to build it. Just made some calculations on paper
        and did the rest of design on the fly while building it. The
        basic idea to run everything horizontal as much as possible
        was made prior to drawing or fabrication. Just two wheels and
        a straight line inbetween. Turned out really simple indeed.

        Tiha

        On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Philip Hahn
        <everphilski@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:everphilski@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Tiha,
             I love how clean your bike looks. Did you make up
            drawing prior to fabrication or did you go by trial and
            error?
             Beautiful Python!
            philip

            On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Tihamer Juhasz
            <balamber@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:balamber@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                Hi all,

                Made some more decent pictures and shared them in a
                Picasa album again:

https://plus.google.com/photos/115292543199069523585/albums/5877419428757741505?authkey=CK7Kp9yb07HK4QE

                I hope the pictures explain how the pivot works. It
                actually works well, but it seems not strong enough
                to last long. Will see.

                I presently ride the bike like an agitated orchestra
                conductor, waving around randomly with my arms, but
                its a lot of fun. Its really refreshing to learn
                something this basic at this age. I make steady
                progress each time I take out the bike, so its
                reassuring too. Any tips on riding are welcome. I did
                not mount a handlebar yet, so I learn hands free.

                A few questions: how much does the trail and wheel
                size influence the riding behaviour of the bike? Are
                bigger wheels better for riding stability? Has
                anybody tried to have the pivot behind the seat? I
                would imagine that pedal induced steering would be
                even less if the pivot was right behind the seat
                support point, so almost at the center of gravity and
                behind the rider hip joints. And one more: how about
                having a reversed python? That is, move the pivot
                back to the hind wheel and have it mirrored (at 115
                degr (180-65) or having it at 65 degr. This would be
                a rear steered bike I know, but there are a few which
                work.

                Thanks,
                Tiha